Ducati Moped Restoration Update

Yes it looks pretty good, but it won’t start. You might remember that I began this restoration over a year ago. Tonight I went back and looked at the pictures I took before starting and I wondered how I ever thought it would be possible to bring this thing back to life. I am a persistent twit and haven’t given up and I won’t. The spark is weak, so my next move will be trying to locate a new stator. My repair of the old one was a little dodgy, as it looked salvageable, but may not have been. Enjoy the all the before and after pictures here and in the photo album. I will let you know more about bring it alive as soon as I track down some new electrics.

7 comments

1. Nigel Beattie says:

Hello, I am also just completing a virtually identical rebuild of a Falcon. Mine was in pretty much the same condition as yours to start with and took (by the sounds of it) a similar amount of time. Never quite sure if it is worth doing but it’s one of those things you take as a challenge and then can’t stop. I still have a few bits to find (tool box, chainguard and rear tail light – I see yours is missing too) but I’m sure they will make themselves available at some point in time. Thanks for posting the photos, it’s nice to know there are a few more “persistent twits” around.
    Nigel

2. Recoil Rob says:

I have a 1964 Falcon in need of restoration. Never done anything like this before but would like to start. Is there a “flow Chart” to let a neophyte know where to start and how to proceed?

thanks, Rob

3. Dave says:

Unfortunately there are no restoration reference books for these small bikes, unlike the bevel-head Ducati or Vespa scooters. This said, there are several contacts that are very valuable resources in doing a restoration. First, get the Ducati Falcon parts or owners manual. It is available on the web as a pdf or you can sometimes find it on ebay. Second, look for the following part suppliers on the web; Domi Racer in Cincinnati and Classic Italian Bikes in Europe. They will have just about everything you need for the Ducati Falcon and most of it is new old stock (NOS). The later tends to be a little expensive because of shipping, but he had a new, hard-to-find muffler for me when I couldn’t get mine re-chromed. Last, for anything you can find from the other two, connect with Henry Hogben, a Canadian with an amazing supply of new and old Ducati parts and knowledge about all Ducati bikes. Henry is a little peculiar and grumpy, but trust-worthly. You can call hm about anything, but he will only sends out parts only after receiving payment in cash or check. He does not have a computer, doesn’t take credit cards and when I asked him about accepting a Paypal payment he said, “I don’t know what you are talking about…I don’t do all that modern stuff”.

4. Nathan says:

Good info posted above, I was given the same information on my project, I have a Falcon 80 and have yet to start the resoration process. I was able to get some good pictures of the shift linkage and score some NOS brake shoes. Also got a race expansion pipe for mine…can’t wait till I can get it started.

5. Nathan says:

I forgot to mention, I’m in Northern VA if anyone else in the area has ideas on 2-stroke Ducati restoration

6. Dave says:

Thanks for the comment. I too, am in Northern VA now, unfortunately my Falcon 50 is still in Richmond awaiting the discovery of a new stator. Email me if you have any questions or resources.

7. rolando sosa says:

i have two 1962 ducati brio scooters. i am looking for information and parts so that i can start the restorations.
    any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

rolando